Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Like a kid in a candy store

Yes, that's me on draft day. I'm still pining for Deron Williams, though I can find a way to live with Marvin (it will be difficult). I've seen some intersting commentary and a fair bit of critique for Marvin of late.

1) People have question his toughness (both of them). Huh? Supposedly he's a very hard worker, and he didn't lament playing on the bench (more on that in a second). Now, he might not be able to physically hack post play in the NBA, sure. But he's got desire and a work ethic. And he seems so grounded. I don't get it.

2) Some have questioned his atheleticism. He's supposed to have it in spades. Is it because he never Shawn Kemps over people in games? Or doesn't dunk like Mike did? Is it the lack of reboundins grabbed above the rim? I guess we'll see, either way.

3) The "He couldn't even start in college!" argument is ridiculous. He joined a team with a coach that, while he has played freshman at times in the past, does not give jobs away. Period. If he has an established starting five, you're going to have to do something crazy, and one of them might still need to screw up to boot, for you to take a job. Roy doesn't care about your talent. You earn your way with him, and then you wait anyway in some circumstances. I don't think it would be fair to categorize this as inability on Williams' part. It could be, but we can't know without practice tape from all of Carolina's practices last year. And something to read Roy's mind.

Now, I definately agree with the growing meme that we're too obsessed with potential/upside. And I can understand being skittish about him for that reason. Potential doesn't mean squat. His purpotedly good work ethic is something I see as a big plus here, though.

4) He showed nerves in the title game. Hey, that must mean he'll do that in every big moment, for ever and ever.

The Hawks have all kinds of picks, and the chance to get some really good players. I'll disagree with Elkon (see top link to the left) - I'm not crazy abotu Morris but only because I think his decision to come out was very questionable - I don't see him being ready.

But I think the Hawks have a good chance to get a couple of guys to help them here. And I think Billy Knight generally has a clue. And I readily admit Smith and Childress far surprassed my expectations. Are we on the road back to the mid 80s, where the Omni rocked and the Hawks might have been one playoff series from greatness - the classic semis matchup against the Basketball Jesus and the Celtics? That's a stretch, right now. But you know, after watching the Hawks some during the second half of last year, and finally becoming an avid scoreboard watcher for the first time since Deke's prime, the air does taste just a little sweater. They have a long way to go, but forgive me my moment of unbridled hope (it is terribly out of character).

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Brian said...

welcome to the blogosphere. You should join the BlogPoll like Elkon did.

Details here:
http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/introducing-blogpoll.html

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Good stuff.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger peacedog said...

I will do that, thanks for the link.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger peacedog said...

Btw, I'm getting a 404 for that URL.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Brian said...

it got cut off. Just drop me an email at bcook at umich period edu

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger peacedog said...

Well, I figured I'd find the proper post if I just started scanning over people's blogs - and yours seemed a good place to start. I found it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home